Thanks to Joy the Baker for this recipe, pancakes have never made my kitchen smell so good!
I used ground ginger instead of allspice, rum extract instead of vanilla extract, and I was out of buttermilk and baking powder so I had to make some:
To make buttermilk: Add 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (or white vinegar) to a glass measuring cup then add enough milk to make 1 cup. Let it rest for five minutes before use. Double these amounts to make 2 cups of buttermilk.
To make baking powder: Mix 1 teaspoon baking soda with 2 teaspoons cream of tartar, then measure out the amount of baking powder you need.
For this recipe you will need:
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
You will also need butter for cooking and real maple syrup for serving.
1. Melt butter until browned, then remove from heat and stir in spices.
2. Beat egg and add buttermilk. Stir in cooled, melted butter and rum extract.
3. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and stir together until just combined. Let batter rest for five minutes.
4. Drop a scant 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake onto a heated and buttered skillet or griddle and cook until both sides are browned.
Print or view Joy’s original recipe here. YUM!!!