Sweet and spicy warm red wine is the perfect thing to share and enjoy during the Holidays!
You will need:
- 1 750 ml bottle inexpensive red wine
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8-10 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Brandy (optional)
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish
Prep time 10 minutes, serve 2-4.
- With a peeler or sharp knife, remove zest from orange in one large piece (or a few large pieces), no bitter white pith should remain. Squeeze the juice of the orange into a medium-sized sauce pan and add the orange peel.
- Add sugar, honey, cloves and powdered spices to the pan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer while stirring until mixture starts to thicken and reaches a syrup-like stage.
- Slowly stir in wine and heat liquid over a low flame until hot, but do not bring to a simmer. Do not overheat (or the alcohol will burn off), just warm the liquid until it’s steaming and toasty enough to drink.
- Strain and serve in glass mugs with a cinnamon stick and a float of brandy, if you like that sort of thing. Enjoy!